Are you trying to open a website but getting an error message that says "this site can't be reached"?
This is a rather typical mistake that most users run into daily. This issue is usually accompanied by several error codes. The following are the most typical error codes linked with this problem:
This site may be unavailable on Chrome OS, Android smartphones, Linux, Windows 8, and Windows 10.
What Could be the Possible Reasons Behind This Error?
The following are some potential causes for the error "This site can't be reached on Chrome."
- Issues with Chrome's settings.
- There are issues with DNS lookups failing.
- Network Adapter Driver-related issues.
- Certain web pages are blocked by the firewall.
As a result, in this post, we'll look at some of the options that might be able to help you view a web page on Google Chrome.
How Can I Fix “This Site Can’t be Reached” Error in Google Chrome?
We've gathered a list of tips and tactics, as well as real solutions, for resolving the "this site can't be reached" error. Let's take a look at each one individually right now.
Fix 1. Clear Browser Cache and Cookies
Here's how to quickly solve the "this site can't be reached" error:
- Open the Chrome web browser.
- Select "More" from the drop-down menu (the three vertical dots at the top-right corner of the Chrome browser).
- Select the “History” option from the menu, and then the “Clear browsing data” option from the “More Tools” section.
- Choose a time from the drop-down menu at the top.
- Then tick the boxes for "Browsing history," "Cookies and other site data," and "Cached pictures and files."
- Last but not least, press the "Clear data" button
Try browsing the web page right now to check whether it works.
Fix 2. Reset Browser Settings of Chrome
You can even choose to reset the Chrome browser settings to delete all previous configurations easily with a single click. This may help you overcome the “this site can’t be reached” error in Chrome.
- Go to the "More" icon after running the Chrome browser.
- Select the Settings option from the menu.
- Then, under the “Reset and clear up” portion, select “Reset Settings” from the Advanced menu.
- Finally, in the subsequent screen, select the “Reset Settings” button.
Fix 3. Reset WiFi Modem
If you are on WiFi and facing the site that can’t be reached on Chrome issue, then you can reset your WiFi router easily with the help of the below steps:
- Remove the power cable from the WiFi router.
- Hold and press the reset button for 15 seconds.
- Once the lights on the modem start flickering, then release the reset button.
- Once the internet connection is reestablished, then try accessing the web page to see if the issue is resolved or not.
If not, then move on to the subsequent fixes mentioned below.
Fix 4. Restart DNS Client Service
Are you seeing the error message "this site can't be reached" on Chrome? If this is the case, the DNS lookup may have failed. The DNS (Domain name Server) address is in charge of converting the website name into an internet address. As a result, if it is misconfigured, a website may become unreachable. In this case, you may quickly restart the DNS client service by following these steps:
- Type the following command into the Windows Command Prompt, then click the "Enter" key: net stop dnscache
This command will bring the service to a halt. The service may take a few minutes to come to a halt.
- Then execute the following command and press "Enter" to restart the DNS service on the system: net stop dnscache
- You can also use the command ipconfig/flushdns to clear the DNS cache and remove all entries from it.
Fix 5. Change the DNS Address
If resetting the DNS client service does not solve the problem of the site being unavailable in Chrome, change the DNS address. Here's how to go about it:
- To view network status and tasks, go to the Control Panel and select “View network status and tasks.”
- Select “Change adapter settings” from the drop-down menu.
- Double-click on the icon for the Internet connection you're using.
- Then, to enter the Properties pane, click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).
- Input the new DNS addresses here.
- Then type in the address of Google's public DNS server:
- Prefered DNS Server: 188.8.131.52
- Alternate DNS Server: 184.108.40.206
- Click "OK" after checking the box next to "Validate settings upon leaving."
Fix 6. Reset TCP/IP
Still, having trouble with the "site can't be reached" issue? Type "cmd" into the search box, then right-click on the Command Prompt and select "Run as administrator." If a password is required to start the Command Prompt as an administrator, enter it.
- Type the following command and press the "Enter" key: reset netsch int ip
- Allow the command to run for TCP/IP reset.
- Restart the computer and check the website to see if it is now operational.
Fix 7. Remove Browser Extensions
Browser extensions are little apps that greatly enhance the functionality of a browser. Browser extensions, on the other hand, frequently interfere with your network functions. To resolve the issue of "this site can't be reached on Chrome," follow the procedures below:
- In your Chrome browser, go to the upper right corner and select "More."
- From this menu, select "More tools."
- Select the “Extensions” option from the menu.
- Disable Chrome extensions one by one by moving the blue slider.
Determine which browser extensions are to blame for the error message and uninstall them.
Fix 8. Reset Chrome Profile Sync
All of the stuff you have on Chrome are displayed on a Google-run website, so you should always clear the cache, which accumulates in the background.
To have it done, simply follow the procedures below:
- Open a new tab in Chrome.
- Go to the Google dashboard now.
- Reset the sync by pressing the Reset button.
- To confirm the same, press "OK."
- To turn it on, turn the sync knob once more.
Fix 9. Scan Your System for Malware
If your machine is infected with malware, you may have unexpected problems, such as the “website can't be reached on Chrome” issue.
To detect the presence of a virus or any other harmful program, run a comprehensive system scan with advanced antivirus software. After the antivirus product has completed its system scan, you can use it to remove the infection.
Finally, open the Chrome browser to test if you can view the page right now.
Fix 10. Run Windows Network Diagnostics
If you've tried everything else and still can't get rid of the "site can't be reached on Chrome" error, here's another clever solution. Run the Windows Network Diagnostic to quickly identify and resolve network-related issues.
- To open the network diagnostic tab, open the Run dialogue box and input the following. After that, click "OK." inetcpl.cpl
- Under the General tab, click the Diagnose button.
- Disconnect and reconnect the internet once the diagnosis is complete.
Check to see if the error has been addressed or if it still exists. If it does, you can update your network adapter driver to entirely resolve the problem.
Fix 11. Update the Network Adapter Driver
Are you having trouble accessing a website on Chrome? If this is the case, it's possible that the problem is caused by out-of-date, corrupted, or missing network adapter drivers. This problem can be fixed by updating the network adapter drivers. So, how do you do it?
To obtain the most recent version of the network adapter driver software, go to the manufacturer's website. Following that, you can either follow the on-screen directions or use the Device Manager to install it on your machine.
Automatic Update with Bit Driver Updater:
The Bit Driver Updater utility may be easily installed on your PC and will automatically update the network adapter driver.
It can be used to search the system for problematic drivers and then automatically update them after installation. This Best Driver Updater program can obtain genuine versions of system drivers and install them all with the push of a single button.
What are the benefits of using this tool?
- It helps you save time.
- You won't have to go through the trouble of manually looking for the driver software.
- Only legitimate driver software is downloaded with this program.
- Improves the performance of the system.
- Before you resolve any problems, make a backup of your present drivers so you can restore them if necessary.
Fix 12. Install a VPN Service
You can get the “this site can't be reached” message if you try to access a geo-restricted website or content. If the website in question is geo-restricted, you can use a VPN program to gain access to it.
To access numerous streaming sites and web pages available across the Internet, you can utilize a trustworthy VPN program.
We propose NordVPN, which is simple to set up on your computer. The following characteristics of this cross-platform VPN service can help you in a variety of ways:
- Up to 6 devices can be connected.
- More than 5000 servers are available in 62 locations throughout the world.
- For data transfer, it uses 256-bit AES encryption technology.
- Ads and malware domains are blocked by the CyberSec function.
- Overall, it hides your online identity and safeguards your information.
- With this app, you can access geo-restricted websites, US Netflix, and much more.
After you've installed and connected the VPN program, you should be able to access the website using your Chrome browser.
Fix 13. Reinstall Chrome
If everything else fails, you can uninstall and reinstall the Chrome browser to resolve the “this site can't be reached” issue.
- Go to the Control Panel to uninstall the Chrome browser.
- Uninstall it from the system by going to the "Uninstall a program" section.
- Allow time for the uninstallation process to finish.
- Then navigate to the path below to delete everything in this folder. C:\Users\%your_name%\AppData\Local\Google\
- Then, on your computer, install the Chrome browser.
- Finally, reboot your computer and visit the site using the freshly installed Chrome browser.
As we near the end of this post, we should have a better understanding of why you can't visit specific pages in Chrome and how to resolve the "this site can't be reached" problem.
You can also try using a different browser, such as Firefox, to visit the site.
Additionally, you can always make sure that your device drivers are up to date by using good driver update software to keep your PC running smoothly.
Another trick you might find beneficial is to switch off the third-party firewall for a while so that it doesn't interfere with your work.
As a result, we hope that you have found our solutions to be beneficial and effective. Please share your opinions with us in the comments box below.